Monday, September 3, 2007

Quilt show

I'm relaxing my little heart out today, because the last few days have been spent in a whirlwind preparing for and vending at the Little Balkans quilt show. It was a very nice show, and everything went off without a hitch (thanks, in part, to a very late night for me on Friday night cutting kits and taking care of last minute details). Here are just a few of the quilts that I thought to snap pictures of:

It was hard to get a good picture of this one, but it is very pretty. Look at all of that detailed applique. Not my typical taste, but I couldn't help admiring it.

This quilt was right across from my booth. It is an antique Sunbonnet Sue. I don't care much for the peach sashing (which was probably a brighter orange when the quilt was made), but I love how the maker arranged the blocks. She did her best to make the quilt somewhat symmetrical so that either way you're looking at it you see a right-side-up Sue. It is also hand appliqued and hand quilted. Very lucky owner to have this in her family.


And I didn't get a chance to look up the details on this one, but I just love it. It looks very old-fashioned, even though it can't be because of the pictures in some of the blocks. It's scrappy and bright, and it just makes me smile.

And just so no one can say I don't support my local quilt guild, here are my purchases from the boutique. I was so excited to see the Christmas yo-yos already strung together in a yo-yo garland. That's something I wanted to do myself, and now I've got a headstart. I also couldn't pass up the little pouch. The fabric looks like the style that was popular when I was a kid - in fact, it may be vintage fabric (if you want to call early 1980s "vintage"). And with football season getting started this month, the purple batik checkbook cover is just the accessory I need to show my K-State pride.

I also made a dash into Wal-mart the other morning for bottled water, shampoo, and coffee creamer, but this ric-rac somehow made it into my cart also. I've never actually used ric-rac, but I'm very excited about the possibilities. Such fun colors!


And my hands gravitated toward this as I passed the Halloween aisles...


I finished several quilts just in time for the show, but I'll save those for another post. Since today is my day off, I think I'll tinker around with this fabric this afternoon. I'm thinking a purse, but we'll see what happens.

Enjoy your Labor Day!

No comments: