Friday, September 7, 2007

Another one bites the dust

I've got several new things to show you, but I have made a vow to myself not to photo them until they are done, meaning quilted, bound, and labeled. So this is the first one that I've actually accomplished all of that stuff. I'm a little disappointed with the picture. I had totally envisioned this quilt hanging over the wooden privacy fence in my backyard, lit by the late afternoon sun. Alas, we've had cloudy skies for the last couple of days, with no sunshine forecasted for the rest of the weekend.

Here's a detail shot.

When I did my trunk show last night (which went really well, by the way, I didn't swallow my tongue or sprout hives or anything), it hit me that none of my quilts have labels. And I mean none. So one of my goals for, let's say, the end of the year is to get all of my quilts labeled. But since I don't actually like the idea of making a label and applique-ing (sp?) it onto a quilt, I may just sign some of them, like I did here.
I know it's hard to read since the backing is so busy, but I like the concept. I like seeing someone else's handwriting on a quilt, so I'll probably write out my labels even if I do applique a separate label. I think the handwriting makes the quilter seem more real - seeing a signature on old quilts makes it easier for me to imagine the quiltmaker. And it just seems more genuine than some computer-generated thing (not to say I won't do that on a few). Plus, if you sign the quilt back instead of attaching a label, no one can rip it off.

We woke up this morning at our house to discover we had no water. Not a great start to my day. There was some sort of problem on the city's end, and they are supposed to have it fixed by now. We'll see when I get home. There's a thunderstorm rolling in, so I'm going to snuggle up on the couch and sew binding on a quilt tonight. Maybe I'll watch a Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter movie while I sew, especially since our satellite reception will probably be touch and go. And my friend just dropped by some redwork blocks that she marked for me, so maybe I'll start on those when I get bored with binding. This will be my first attempt at embroidery, so wish me luck!

1 comment:

Donna said...

I've been known to sew my label onto the backing by machine before I quilt just to avoid the appliquéing bit! I also handwrite directly onto the quilt often -- I see nothing wrong with it, who decided that labels needed to be a separate piece of fabric attached at the end anyways?