Thursday, September 25, 2008

Knitting for babies

I like making things for babies. Babies are small, so their stuff is small. Babies aren't curvy and look cute in anything, so fit isn't much of an issue. And babies are not ungrateful about your handmade gifts. They're not particularly grateful either, but they can't help that. So it makes sense to me, when learning a new craft, to make things for babies... small things that don't have to fit well. Not to mention the fact that I've been attending more baby showers these days, and handmade baby gifts are more in demand. We've been to a lot of weddings over the past several years, so I guess one follows the other.

baby bib o' love

I recently got my hands on the Mason Dixon Knitting book, and there are several good baby projects in there. (Check out the Mason Dixon Flickr group here.) You may not be able to tell, but this is a bib. It's my first finished knitting project. I'm not sure how I feel about how the variegated pink yarn knitted up, but I suppose it will work for an object that my niece is going to drool and spit up on. Now I just need to find a cute button for it.

baby kimono

Here is another project in progress from the book. It's the baby kimono sweater, a wrap sweater knit in one piece. I plan to make one for my almost-one-year-old niece, but I'm making the newborn size from the book first. I'm using dishcloth cotton yarn from the discount store for this one, but I'm on the hunt for some different yarn to use in the kimono for my niece. I'm looking for a soft, pale pink, but most of the cotton yarns I've seen so far are screaming Barbie pink instead. Luckily, as we now, hunting for the perfect yarn/fabric is half the fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bib is cute! I'd be interested to see the kimono sweater when it is finished... I love that style of baby sweater.

Miss to Mrs said...

Starting with projects for babies is brilliant. I wish that I liked to knit because those bibs look fun. Alas, every time I try it I start wanting to poke my eyes out with the needles. I finally just gave up. Not worth it in the end! I love the pink bib.