Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Creative pumpkin juices

Nothing like 15 hours of sleep to help you get over a cold. Overdosing on cold medicine didn't hurt either. (I was taking 2 pills every 4 hours, instead of the recommended dosage of 1 pill, not to exceed 4 pills in a 24 hour period. Oops.) So that's pretty much all I did on Sunday. I also crocheted a little bit, beginning with the pink & white ripple afghan for my yet-to-be-born niece until I ran out of pink yarn, then on a multi-colored afghan I started for myself a loooong time ago. I'll try to remember to take some pics to show you.

Monday was spent catching up. The Kansas Quilters Organization (KQO) had its fall meeting in my town this weekend. Ami Simms was the featured speaker. I really wanted to go to her lectures, but I couldn't leave the shop (ah, the joys of being a shop owner =). I did a trunk show for them on Friday night, and they were a lot of fun. The spring meeting is in McPherson, so I'm hoping to be able to go.

I have so many projects I want to do. So many that I was feeling sort of bogged down and uninspired yesterday. So I just jumped in with something easy to try and get my creative juices flowing. This would be a great project for kids. I felt like I was doing a 1st grade art project. I traced the jack-o-lantern face shapes onto interfacing, roughly cut the shapes, and ironed them onto scraps of black. Then I played with the shapes until I had pumpkin faces I was happy with. I cut the shapes out a little more precisely, ironed them on, and top-stitched around them. The blocks are 10", so even with borders this will just be a wall-hanging. Which I'm okay with. Now I'm debating with myself on what to do for borders (but what else is new?). I do have patterns and fat quarter bundles for this project in the shop. Also, if you receive my newsletter by e-mail, this is the free pattern that came with October's newsletter.

Borders, quilting, and binding are on my agenda for the next couple of days. Not the sexiest part of quilting, but stuff that must be done. I'll keep you posted.

I found this link via Ami's website. Hilarious.

1 comment:

comicbooklady said...

Hope you are feeling better soon! Love the jack o' lanterns! Just sent an email via your store web page, let me know if you received it!